The Rocky River School Board wants to raise taxes by 11.1 percent on November 6th, 2012 and is threatening to make cuts that hurt students if it doesn’t pass.
1. It is an established fact Rocky River Public Schools provide an excellent education. It has been rated Excellent with Distinction for 12 years by the state.
2. Excellent public schools draw and keep strong families to the city. The whole city benefits from having a superior school system.
3. River is one of the wealthier school districts so the state doesn’t provide as much funding as it does other districts. River will most likely always depend heavily on local funding for its schools. The enrollment is projected to stay at the current levels.
4. River schools rely on 3 year levy cycles where a double digit tax increase is put on the ballot every three years. These levies are Continuing meaning they don’t expire and no renewal by voters is necessary.
Some people think the schools should be given this extra money every three years.
Other people don’t have any extra money in their family budget to give.
Finally a number of residents are questioning the School Board when they see how the current taxes are being spent. Is more money really needed? If the following exists:
· Administrators’ employee portion of their pension is picked up
· allowing accumulation of hundreds of sick days
· limit high school teachers to 5 classes (hours) per day
· only 12 percent of healthcare premium is paid by employees when the private sector averages double this amount
· recently extended a contract that ensures that many employees continue to get yearly raises (step raises)
W.A.S.T.E. developed this website to document the finances and some practices of the school district. We encourage you to review this material(School & City Salaries tab) and make an informed vote.
Protecting the schools could simply mean raising taxes or it could mean the voters telling the School Board it needs to do a better job of spending the taxpayers’ money. You decide. Read what others think (Share Your Opinion tab) and leave your own opinion.
Proposed Cuts if levy fails(click here) Page 2
Over 1 million paid in 2012(click here)
Pension Pick Up (click Here)
We Are Simply Taxed Enough
A group of Rocky River residents providing transparency and easy access to school and city financial data so city voters can make informed decisions.
We are pro-school and pro-city looking to create long term fiscal sustainability through creative and innovative solutions so we Keep Excellent Schools and provide Great City Services.